FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contacts: Andrew Wineke
Manager, strategic communications
303-804-8222 (desk) 303-204-4990 (cell)
Bundled payment pilot program encourages providers to coordinate care, reduce complications and deliver optimal health care value.
ENGLEWOOD, CO — (Feb. 5, 2013) – Centura Health, Colorado’s health care leader, announced today that it will participate in a new Medicare pilot program that will be another step toward transforming America’s health care system. The Bundled Payments for Care Improvement initiative seeks to improve patient care through payment innovation that fosters improved coordination and quality through a person-centered approach.
Centura Health’s Penrose-St. Francis Health Services in Colorado Springs is one of just five hospitals in Colorado participating in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Bundled Payments For Care Improvement initiative, which will begin later this year.
ABOUT THE BUNDLED PAYMENTS FOR CARE IMPROVEMENT INITIATIVE
- Traditionally, Medicare makes separate payments to providers for each of the individual services they furnish to beneficiaries for a single illness or course of treatment. This approach can result in fragmented care with minimal coordination across providers and health care settings. Payment rewards the quantity of services offered by providers rather than the quality of care furnished.
- Depending on the model type, CMS will bundle payments for services beneficiaries receive during an episode of care, encouraging hospitals, physicians, post-acute facilities, and other providers as applicable to work together to improve health outcomes and lower costs.
- Organizations of providers participating in the initiative will agree to provide CMS a discount from expected payments for the episode of care, and then the provider partners will work together to reduce readmissions, duplicative care, and complications to lower costs through improvement.
DELIVERING OPTIMAL HEALTH CARE VALUE FOR COLORADO AND KANSAS
- Centura Health defines value as the combination of outcome effectiveness, service, convenience and cost. Our goal is for health care to be readily available and accessible, with outstanding and long-lasting clinical outcomes, provided in an environment of service excellence, at a reasonable cost.
- We are creating systems of care, establishing physician practices, developing health neighborhoods, and affiliating with rural hospitals to create multiple access points and convenience for health care consumers.
- “As the region’s leading health care network, Centura Health is uniquely positioned to create an innovative health care delivery model that aligns providers – hospitals, post-acute care providers, physicians, and other practitioners– allowing them to work closely together across all specialties and settings,” said Gary Campbell, Centura Health president and CEO. “Through pilots such as this bundled payment initiative and our own Colorado Health Neighborhoods, we are developing a future in which consumers in Colorado and Kansas will receive optimal health care value.”
- “The objective of this initiative is to improve the quality of health care delivery for Medicare beneficiaries, while reducing program expenditures, by aligning the financial incentives of all providers,” said Marilyn Tavenner, acting administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
# # #
About Centura Health
Centura Health, the region’s health care leader, is focused on connecting Colorado and Kansas to affordable, world-class care. Centura Health’s integrated statewide network includes 14 hospitals, seven senior living communities, medical clinics, affiliated partner hospitals, Flight For Life® Colorado, 13 health neighborhoods and home care and hospice services. More than 15,800 of the best hearts and minds in medicine, along with over 6,000 physician partners, have access to the most technologically advanced tools available. For consumers, this means the top expertise and technology is right where you need it – close to where you are. We reach beyond hospital walls to connect with people at every stage of life to bring them life-enriching compassion and life-affirming hope; Connections that only Centura Health can make. For information on Centura Health or any of the facilities in our network, please visit www.centura.org.