Surgical Oncology & Breast Reconstruction
Our Fellowship trained surgeons provide expert surgical care here at Littleton Adventist Hospital as part of our multidisciplinary cancer care team.
With many types of mastectomies to choose from, our breast surgery experts will consult with you based on your individual needs and desires, including some options that may lend themselves to better cosmetic outcomes afterwards. Your breasts can be reconstructed in a number of different ways, such as with breast implants, by collecting tissue from another part of your body to transplant at the site of reconstruction, or a combination of both. If you’re thinking about having breast reconstruction, let your doctor know ahead of time. That way your surgical team can discuss with you the best treatment options.
Direct to Implant Reconstruction:
If you and your surgeon determine immediate breast reconstruction, or direct to implant, is the right option for you, your implant will be performed at the same time as your mastectomy. Your surgeon can help you learn more about the advantages and what you can expect in the recovery process.
Our direct to implant surgical team utilizes the latest infection control procedures, reducing infection rates from 6.4 percent using the standard procedure, to 1.9 percent here at Littleton Adventist Hospital. Not only are we reducing infection rates, our approach also significantly reduces the amount of narcotics used for surgery, thus reducing opiate dependence and opiate-related complications.Expander-Free Breast Reconstruction
Learn more about this “expander-free” reconstructive process that allows women to get back to health faster with fewer surgeries and shorter recovery time.
For patients with rare bone tumors in their arms or legs, there are few doctors in the entire country who can effectively remove the cancer while saving the limb. Littleton Adventist Hospital is proud to partner with a leading orthopedic oncologist as our program’s medical director to offer this innovative, life-saving treatment for our patients. Treatment options include:
- Limb-Salvage Surgery
At Littleton Adventist Hospital, our radiation oncology team is here to help you in your fight against cancer. No matter the stage or type of cancer you are facing, know we are utilizing state-of-the-art technology and specialized training to ensure you receive the most effective treatment possible.
Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
For early stage breast cancer patients, IORT can be both a timesaver - and a lifesaver. Uniquely offered at Littleton Adventist Hospital, IORT offers patients with small, early-stage tumors the opportunity to have their treatments done in one day with minimal recovery time or symptoms and move on with their lives.
- This procedure delivers a 20 to 30-minute, targeted dose of radiation directly to the tumor site during surgery. This direct radiation treatment helps to destroy any microscopic tumor cells that may be left behind and reduces the risk of recurrence.
- With IORT at Littleton Adventist Hospital, patients may also benefit from:
- Treatment time reduced from an average of six weeks to a single dose during surgery
- Less irritation and radiation exposure to healthy breast tissue and surrounding organs
- A ‘boost’ option for traditional radiation therapy patients
- Localized therapeutic dose of radiation helps prevent recurrence
- Minimal recovery time and an opportunity to return to quality time with loved ones