Mercy Regional Medical Center in Durango, Castle Rock Adventist Health Campus in Castle Rock and Rio Grande in del Norte are now all part of the Centura Health statewide telestroke network connected to the expert stroke teams at Littleton Adventist Hospital.
Through telestroke's secure high-speed network videoconferencing and image-sharing technology, these teams can connect with Littleton Adventist Hospital specialists - in real time - to rapidly assess and treat patients exhibiting signs of stroke, narrowing the window of time necessary to minimize permanent injury to the brain. The Littleton Hospital based neurologist is able to view and communicate with the patient and ER physician as well as perform a neurological examination and directly view computer tomography (CT) scans to evaluate for intracranial hemorrhage or conditions that may mimic stroke in clinical presentation. Telestroke is cloud (Internet) based technology so it is not dependent on a fixed location which means it can also be set up in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) or elsewhere in the hospital if need be.
The award winning Stroke Center at Littleton Adventist Hospital is committed to higher standards of stroke care and proper procedure while caring for our patients. The Stroke Center at Littleton Hospital has been accredited as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission since 2005. This designation indicates that the hospital follows proven protocols and processes for treating stroke quickly and effectively.
Our stroke team includes:
- Neurologists and Neurosurgeons available 24/7 for stroke alerts and life-saving interventional or surgical procedures.
- Emergency room registered nurses (RN's) specially trained in rapid response stroke protocols who work closely with EMS to assure the fastest possible treatment
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) RN's are specially trained in the assessment and care of stroke patients.
- Rehabilitation staff including occupational therapists, physical therapists and speech therapists that specialize in stroke rehabilitation. Learn more about our inpatient acute rehabilitation center.
- Case managers available to assist families with decision making, rehabilitation placement options, insurance questions and arranging transportation after discharge
- Chaplains available to help provide spiritual and emotional support for families and patients.