During Your Stay at The BirthPlace
One-on-One Breastfeeding Consultations
Breastfeeding mothers are seen by one of our board-certified lactation consultants at some point during their stay at The BirthPlace. The lactation consultants will cover basic breastfeeding management and answer any questions you may have. You will be given a feeding log to track your baby’s feeding, with written breastfeeding guidelines on what to expect in the first three days of life. If you need to pump during your stay, we recommend using one of our hospital grade pumps to get your supply off to a good start.
Assistance with Premature Babies
Our BirthPlace NICU staff will work with our NICU babies and parents to help initiate and support their breastfeeding needs throughout their stay. All NICU “graduates” receive follow-up phone calls and breastfeeding support as needed.
We know exclusive breastfeeding has lifelong benefits for both mother and infant. Our BirthPlace staff is here to help during the important first days in the hospital.
Here are a few things we will do to help:
- We will assist you in initiating breastfeeding within one hour after birth. More than 90% of our infants are breastfeeding within the first hour.
- We promote skin-to-skin contact with your baby because we know this encourages successful breastfeeding and initiating milk supply.
- We will teach mom infant feeding or hunger cues, how often and how long to breastfeed, how to calm your baby, how to latch, positioning your baby, signs of cluster feeding and teach you how to know your infant is getting enough to eat.
- Our BirthPlace staff will help you establish a breastfeeding plan based on your infant’s needs. Your nurse will work with you to develop a written plan and provide you with a feeding log to ensure breastfeeding success.
- Mom and baby are encouraged to stay together 24 hours a day.
- Rest when your baby is resting. We know birth is an exciting time for you and your family, but try to find some down-time during the day to rest. We provide signs you can place outside your room when you are resting so that you are not disturbed.
- We have lactation coverage seven days a week, including holidays. 99% of our mothers are seen by one of our lactation consultants during their stay at The BirthPlace.
- Infants in the NICU and pump dependent mothers are supported by our lactation team as well.
- The BirthPlace is a milk depot for the Mothers’ Milk Bank of Denver. Through this partnership we offer human donor milk to all NICU and healthy term infants requiring breast milk supplementation.