Interested in knitting, crocheting, quilting, sewing, or weaving?
Join our Needle Arts Guild, a volunteer group supporting Parker Adventist Hospital. Guild members make items for hospital patients; from newborns to adults. Items include:
- Baby sweaters
- Afghans Needle Arts Guild
- Receiving blankets
- Chemo caps
The Guild meets monthly, the 4th Monday of the month at 9 a.m. in a hospital conference room. There is the opportunity to learn and teach needle crafts. The Guild holds an annual sale of their treasures and proceeds go toward supporting various departments within the hospital as well as local organizations that support people in need. If you’re interested in attending or learning more, please email Merry.
How to become a volunteer at Parker Adventist Hospital
We offer a wide range of volunteer positions in patient and non-patient service areas. Click below to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
We have a wide range of volunteer opportunities in patient and non-patient service areas. Below are just a few of the many volunteer opportunities available at Parker Adventist Hospital:
- Information Desk
- Surgery Waiting Reception
- Cancer Center
- Emergency Department
- PawPals (Therapy Dog Program)
- Gift Boutique
- Needle Arts Guild
- Nurse Server
- Nutrition Services
- Office Support
- Collating Crew
- Hospital Tea Cart
- Patient Visitation
- Neurosciences/Sleep Lab
- Curious George Tour Program
- Southlands ER
- The Breast Care Center at Parker Adventist Hospital, Office Support
We would love to talk with you about how you can make a difference as part of the Parker Adventist Hospital volunteer team!
Prospective volunteers interested in answering the call to service are asked to register for one of our Volunteer Information Sessions. All volunteers must be at least 16 years of age. Volunteers are expected to commit a minimum of 100 hours of service per year. Students are asked to commit six months of service/four hours a week.
Requirements for Volunteering
Volunteer service is a responsibility that requires a definite commitment of time, energy and desire to serve, and therefore requires preparation, orientation and training. Because of the nature of care being delivered at the hospital, all volunteers are carefully screened and placed into appropriate assignments, and each volunteer must adhere to standard policies and procedures.
The placement process includes:
- Prospective volunteers must be at least 16 years of age
- Commit to a four hour volunteer shift, one day a week, for a minimum of six months (minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service in one year)
Prospective volunteers must also complete the following before receiving a service assignment:
- Attend a volunteer information session
- Complete the volunteer application (provided at the information session) and provide two non-family member references.
- Complete the medical health screening provided by our employee health nurse including:
- TB Blood Draw
- Flu Vaccination (Vaccines are given October – December)
- Pass a background check
This process is designed to ensure the safety and well-being of patients and families, as well as the confidence and success of volunteers.
Once this process is complete, volunteers will shadow the area of interest. Once a position is agreed upon by both sides, the volunteer will attend an onboard meeting where they will receive a written service description outlining their assignment and tasks.
Volunteers will then:
- Training for their specific volunteer position
- ID badge and uniform
- Volunteers are required to wear a blue smock or vest with a white shirt, ID badge, black dress pants or skirt, and closed toed shoes
- Attend regularly scheduled safety training and volunteer meetings
- Remain current with provided biennial TB skin testing and annual flu vaccinations
Volunteer Application Process
If you are interesting in becoming a Parker Adventist Hospital volunteer, you will need to attend one of our information sessions which are held:
- 3rd Wednesday of the month: 4:30 - 5:30 pm.
Register today for an upcoming Volunteer Information Session
Upon arriving at the hospital, please check in at the volunteer desk at the main entrance. You will be escorted to the meeting location.