CENTURA HEALTH CONNECTS TO THE CORHIO HEALTH INFORMATION EXCHANGE NETWORK
Hundreds of Thousands of Patients to Benefit From More Coordinated, Efficient Health Care
Oct 25, 2011 8:23am DENVER (October 25, 2011) - Centura Health, Colorados largest health care provider, announced today that it has connected its electronic health records system to the Colorado Regional Health Information Organizations (CORHIO) health information exchange network. By connecting its current electronic health record with CORHIOs secure network, physicians and other medical care providers from across the state are linked to important real-time health information about their patients.
- The agreement to connect with CORHIOs network includes 12 Centura Health acute care hospitals: Avista Adventist Hospital, Louisville; St. Anthony Hospital, Lakewood; St. Anthony North Hospital, Westminster; St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, Frisco; Littleton Adventist Hospital, Littleton; Parker Adventist Hospital, Parker; Porter Adventists Hospital, Denver; OrthoColorado Hospital, Lakewood; Penrose Hospital, Colorado Springs; St. Francis Medical Center, Colorado Springs; St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center, Pueblo and St. Thomas More Hospital, Canon City.
- Centura Health implemented its system-wide electronic health record in 2007, and as the states largest health care provider, serves as a catalyst to continue investing in technology advancements that improve coordination of care in Colorado with particular emphasis placed on enhancing the electronic health record that link all Centura physicians, clinics, hospitals, long-term care facilities, and home care services.
- CORHIOs network links hospitals, physicians and other medical care providers across the state to important real-time health information, including lab test and pathology results, x-ray, MRI and other imaging reports and physician transcription reports. Later next year, the network is scheduled to be upgraded to include patient medication lists, allergies and immunizations as well as lab and imaging orders.
HEALTH INFORMATION EXCHANGE FACTS
- Health information exchange is a method to electronically move personal health and medical information securely between doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers when it is needed for patient care.
- Health information exchange allows health care professionals to securely access comprehensive, up-to-date clinical information about their patients, which helps them provide higher-quality, more efficient and coordinated care. This is especially critical for patients who visit an emergency room (ER), have been recently hospitalized or those who have chronic conditions that require ongoing care from two or more health care providers.
- Information in the health information exchange is shared in a more protected way than paper-based files, faxes and mail and is protected and exchanged under medical privacy and confidentiality standard procedures.
- Secure electronic health information exchange allows patients and physicians to make sure that patient health information is available when and where it is needed.
- Connecting Centura Healths electronic health record to CORHIOs health information exchange allows us to improve health care value through better coordination of care," said Dana Moore, Centura Healths senior vice president and chief information officer. By linking physicians, clinics, hospitals, long-term care facilities, and home care services, we are ultimately touching more Coloradans and contributing collectively to sustaining the health of our state for generations to come."
- It is a tremendous honor to work with Centura as they continue to expand their ability to connect communities using electronic exchange," said Phyllis Albritton, CORHIO executive director. By participating with CORHIO, Centura has the capacity to securely connect with providers to serve patients across the state of Colorado. They are a tremendous organization committed to the needs of the communities we both serve."
For more information about the Centura Health network of care, visit www.centura.org.
# # #
About Centura Health
Centura Health is Colorados largest hospital and health care network and we are charting the course for the future of health care. Approximately 14,500 of the health care industrys best and brightest with more than 6,000 physician partners, deliver advanced care to more than half a million people each year, across 13 hospitals, seven senior living communities, medical clinics, affiliated partner hospitals, Flight For Life Colorado, and home care and hospice services. Our strength lies in our ability to offer a team of connected networks and shared resources to deliver accessible, reliable and cost-effective health care across the state. For information on Centura Health or any of the facilities in our network, please visit www.centura.org.
CORHIO is dedicated to improving health care quality for all Coloradans through health information exchange (HIE). As the state designated entity for HIE, CORHIO collaborates with health care stakeholders including physicians, hospitals, clinics, public health, long-term care, laboratories, health plans and patients to improve care collaboration through secure systems and processes for sharing clinical information. CO-REC, a CORHIO initiative, assists primary care providers in adopting, implementing and becoming meaningful users of electronic health record (EHR) systems. CORHIO is a not-for-profit supported in large part by grants, including awards from the Colorado Health Foundation and from federal ARRA HITECH funds. CORHIO's technical infrastructure is built on industry-leading HIE technology developed and maintained by Medicity. For more information about CORHIO, please visit www.corhio.org.