CENTURA HEALTH PARTNERS WITH ADAMS COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 50 TO POSITIVELY IMPACT STUDENTS HEALTH
Utilizing a research-proven method, Rap Cool Health teaches students to prevent disease, live healthier and increase their quality of life.
- Centura Health and St. Anthony North Hospital, one of 13 hospitals in the statewide Centura Health network, are partnering with Adams County School District 50 to target students at Flynn Elementary May 10, 11 and 12, 2011 and Sunset Elementary May 17, 18 and 19, 2011.
- Centura Health and its network of operating entities is taking the lead on partnering with Colorado communities to implement extensive tools and resources in collaboration with school districts to provide support and guidance, based on evidence-based care and best practices, to ensure healthy long term habits for adults and children as a network-wide community health initiative.
- The focus on wellness and prevention is a direct result of Centura Healths strategic plan, Centura Health 2020, and providing the system with resources necessary to move upstream and improve the health of the communities it serves.
- Colorados childhood obesity levels are rising t the second fastest rate in the nation. According to The Colorado Health Foundations 2010 Colorado Health Report Card, Colorado ranked 23rd in the country in childhood obesity, dropping from third place just three short years ago.
- Between 2003 and 2007, the number of children between the ages of 10-17 years who are obese rose from 48,000 to 72,000 in Colorado with Hispanic children three times more likely to be obese than white children.
- National data from the National Survey of Children's Health indicate Colorado's children rank 34 out of 50 states for reported vigorous physical activity defined as participating in at least 20 minutes of vigorous physical activity least four days a week.
- It is estimated that one in three children will develop diabetes in their lifetime.
- Currently about 39,000 children age 2-19 have Type 2 diabetes.
- All of these factors increase risk for type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease and stroke.
- Many elementary schools have eliminated health curriculum standards and shortened recess times.
THE RAP COOL HEALTH TEACHING METHOD
- Rap Cool Health is a research-proven teaching method that incorporates the best practices of existing health prevention programs with current outcome reviews, behavior change research techniques and multi-media strategies to produce clear, concise messages.
- The program is based on the Harlem Pilot Project and research published in the Journal of Stroke.
- Students sing, dance, watch videos, play games and interact with presenters becoming the characters they learn about and participating in tactile concepts that reinforce messages.
- Centura Health is creating a culture of health for the individuals and communities we serve, focusing on a health care model that fosters healthy lifestyle behaviors through resources and services that extend beyond the walls of the hospital," said Gary Campbell, president and CEO, Centura Health. Our efforts to empower kids through music and dance demonstrate our commitment to promoting personal health and individual activity, and the tremendous power for change that represents for generations to come."
- We are excited by the arrival of the Rap Cool Health Program in District 50," said Dr. Pamela Swanson, acting superintendent, Adams County School District 50. The program is a perfect complement to our ongoing effort to promote healthy student lifestyles. It is clear that a healthy body and mind are essential to effective learning. Its important that students learn these lifestyle lessons at a young age and we are pleased to enter this partnership with Centura Health."
- Interviews and/or photo and video opportunities available at either Flynn or Sunset elementary schools.
For more information about the Centura Health network of care, visit www.centura.org.
About Centura Health
Centura Health is Colorados largest hospital and health care network and we are charting the course for the future of health care. Approximately 14,500 of the health care industrys best and brightest with more than 6,000 physician partners, deliver advanced care to more than half a million people each year, across 13 hospitals, seven senior living communities, medical clinics, affiliated partner hospitals, Flight For Life Colorado, and home care and hospice services. Our strength lies in our ability to offer a team of connected networks and shared resources to deliver accessible, reliable and cost-effective health care across the state. For information on Centura Health or any of the facilities in our network, please visit www.centura.org.
About St. Anthony North Hospital
St. Anthony North Hospital is a full-service, 196-bed acute care facility offering a full complement of emergency, medical and surgical services. St. Anthony North is part of Centura Health, Colorados largest hospital and health care network delivering advanced care to more than half a million people each year, across 13 hospitals, seven senior living communities, medical clinics, Flight For Life and home care and hospice services. St. Anthony Norths and Centura's strength lies in the ability to offer a team of connected networks and shared resources to deliver accessible, reliable and cost-effective health care across the state. For more information about St. Anthony North Hospital visit www.stanthonynorth.org.