National Study: Penrose-St. Francis is a Healthgrades Five-Star Recipient in 11 Areas of Care
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO)Penrose-St. Francis Health Services, part of the Centura Health network,announced that it has achieved 5-stars for its performance in 11 areasof care and three Excellence awards from Healthgrades, the leading online resource helping consumers make informed decisions to find the right doctor, the right hospital for the right care. This achievement is part of new findings and data released today by Healthgrades and is featured in the Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 34 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.*
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 15 Years in a Row (2003-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 7 Years in a Row (2011-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 5 Years in a Row (2013-2017)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Stroke Care Excellence Award for 3 Years in a Row (2015-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke for 4 Years in a Row (2014-2017)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award for 13 Years in a Row (2005-2017)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 13 Years in a Row (2005-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 15 Years in a Row (2003-2017)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades General Surgery Excellence Award for 2 Years in a Row (2016-2017)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for General Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2016-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Colorectal Surgeries for 4 Years in a Row (2014-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for 2 Years in a Row (2016-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Gallbladder Removal Surgery in 2017
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 14 Years in a Row (2004-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism for 13 Years in a Row (2005-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for 14 Years in a Row (2004-2017)
Today, consumers are demanding improved health outcomes, increased service and convenience, and lower health care costs, said Margaret Sabin, president and CEO of Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. Tools such as this Healthgrades report allow consumers to research and choose a hospital based on the quality of care that a hospital provides.
The new report demonstrates how clinical performance continues to differ dramatically between hospitals regionally and nationally. This variation in care has a significant impact on health outcomes. For example, from 2013-2015, if all hospitals as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average 223,412 lives could potentially have been saved and 162,215 complications could potentially have been avoided.** A 5-star rating indicates that Penrose-St. Francis clinical outcomes are statistically significantly better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated.
Penrose-St. Francis was named one of Americas 50 Best Hospitals, the only hospital in southern Colorado to achieve the distinction for nine years in a row (2008-2016).
St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center in Pueblo, also part of the Centura Health Network, announced today that it has received eight Five-Star Ratings from Healthgrades. The Five-Star Ratings indicate that St. Mary-Corwins clinical outcomes in treatment of heart failure, hip fracture, pneumonia, sepsis, respiratory failure, diabetic emergencies, pulmonary embolism, and bowel obstruction are statistically significantly better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated.
*For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 32 common conditions and procedures, as well as an evaluation of comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 18 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospitals quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected) categories. The complete Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.
**Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2013 through 2015 and represent 3-year estimates for Medicare patients only.
About Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is a full-service, 522-bed acute care facility offering a full complement of emergency, medical and surgical services. Penrose-St. Francis was named one of Americas 50 Best Hospitals by Healthgrades, the only hospital in southern Colorado to achieve the distinction for nine years in a row, 2008-2016. Penrose-St. Francis is part of Centura Health. Centura Health connects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 6,000 physicians and 21,000 of the best hearts and minds in health care. Through our 17 hospitals, senior living communities, health neighborhoods, home care and hospice services, we are making the regions best health care accessible and affordable in every community we serve. We believe you can inspire the people you care about to live healthier lives by encouraging them to do the little things that can make a big difference. For more information about Penrose-St. Francis Health Services, visit www.penrosestfrancis.org.