Penrose-St. Francis Announces Major Expansion of St. Francis Medical Center
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) Penrose-St. Francis Health Services announced today a major expansion of St. Francis Medical Center (SFMC) in northern Colorado Springs to meet the growing health care demands across the Pikes Peak region.
St. Francis Medical Center has well exceeded our expectations since opening in 2008, said Margaret Sabin, president and CEO of Penrose-St. Francis. As more people choose us for their health care needs and the population in the northeast part of town continues to increase its imperative we grow as well in order to ensure our community has access to world-class care.
Penrose-St. Francis embarked on a master facility planning process nearly two years ago, which included a community needs assessment to determine the services needed to continue to improve the health of the community. This expansion will be developed and designed to meet the communitys health demands and provide solutions where identified gaps in health care services and resources exist. These solutions will seamlessly integrate with the Centura Health system, further aligning providers and creating systems that support improved care coordination and communication across all specialties and settings, including physician practices, hospitals, urgent care, diagnostics, imaging, etc.
Other projects that are pending funding approval include a new medical campus in Colorado Springs, several neighborhood health centers and the renovation of Penrose Hospital.
The SFMC expansion project which is expected to be an investment of about $100 million includes the construction of 134,000 square feet of additional hospital space as a four-level addition on the west side of the campus. The design phase of the expansion will begin immediately, with the entire project expected to be completed in 2018.
The project will feature:
- Expanding the Emergency Department (ED) by adding an additional 17 beds, bringing the total ED capacity to 40 beds.
- SFMC serves as the only Level III trauma center in northern Colorado Springs.
- ED volumes have increased from 27,000 in 2009 to more than 51,000 in 2014.
- Adding new operating rooms with shelled space for additional operating rooms in the future.
- Surgery volumes at SFMC have increased 63% since 2009.
- A new Total Joint & Spine Center has substantially increased surgical cases.
- St. Francis Medical Center continues to be the destination hospital for many surgeons performing a large volume of robotic-assisted surgeries.
- Expanding the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), doubling the capacity to 50 beds.
- The number of babies admitted to the NICU per day has more than doubled since 2009.
- St. Francis Medical Center has the largest single Birth Center in southern Colorado and the largest NICU in Centura Health.
- On average, eight babies each month are transported to the NICU at SFMC from hospitals throughout southern Colorado.
- Additional parking.
- Parking for associates is a challenge, and with increasing patient volumes, additional parking is paramount on the campus.
SFMC opened in August 2008, as a 156-bed, full-service hospital, with several shelled spaces for future use. Those spaces have all been built out, adding additional patient rooms, operating rooms, cardiac services and GI services. Once the expansion is complete, SFMC will grow to around 225 licensed beds.
Funding for the project is being provided by Penrose-St. Francis sponsor, Catholic Health Initiatives, as well as from community philanthropic investments. Catholic Health Initiatives is headquartered in Englewood with operations in 20 states, including 105 hospitals, 40 long-term care, assisted- and residential-living facilities and two community health-services organizations.
About Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is a full-service, 522-bed acute care facility offering a full complement of emergency, medical and surgical services. Penrose-St. Francis was named one of Americas 50 Best Hospitals eight years in a row, 2008-2015, by Healthgrades, the only recipient in Colorado. Penrose-St. Francis is part of Centura Health. Centura Health connects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 6,000 physicians and 18,100 of the best hearts and minds in health care. Through our 16 hospitals, two senior living communities, health neighborhoods, home care and hospice services, we are making the regions best health care accessible and affordable in every community we serve. We believe you can inspire the people you care about to live healthier lives by encouraging them to do the little things that can make a big difference. For more information visit Penrose-St. Francis Health Services.