Penrose-St. Francis named one of Healthgrades Americas 100 Best Hospitals in Orthopedic Surgery and Critical Care
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. Healthgrades, the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital, published a study today giving Penrose-St. Francis Health Services an Americas 100 Best Hospitals designation in Orthopedic Surgery and Critical Care programs.
The findings are part of American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, whichevaluates the performance of approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide across nearly 30 of the most common conditions and procedures.
Patient outcomes are important to consumers making choices today about hospitals. According to new research conducted by Harris Interactive for Healthgrades, 86 percent of Americans in 27 top designated market areas agree they would be more likely to chooseor not choosea hospital if they could learn ahead of time the mortality rates for a certain procedure.
Penrose-St. Francis has been a vital part of this community for 125 years, said Margaret Sabin, president and chief executive officer of Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. Until recently, consumers chose a hospital based on reputation or location. Tools such as this Healthgrades report now allow consumers to research and choose a hospital based on the quality of care that a hospital provides.
Penrose-St. Francis has been one of Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals for the past five consecutive years, with the 2013 list scheduled to be released in February.
Penrose-St. Francis is also ranked #1 in Colorado for Overall Orthopedic Services and Vascular Surgery. Were especially proud of having the top Orthopedic Services Program in Colorado, said Sabin. Were working very hard to become a destination Orthopedic Center of Excellence not just for Colorado, but the entire nation and this award tells me were well on our way to achieving that goal. Of course, this wouldnt be possible without the outstanding care that our physicians and staff provide every day.
According to the Healthgrades study, the risk of death is 58 percent lower at hospitals receiving 5 stars versus all other hospitals. The 2013 performance outcomes are now available free to the public at www.Healthgrades.com.
For its 2013 hospital quality outcomes analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed from 2009 through 2011 at approximately 4,500 short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide. Healthgrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of being measured, and no hospital pays to be measured. Mortality and complication rates are risk adjusted, which takes into account each hospitals unique population (demographics and severity of illness).
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services Recognitions:
America's Best 100 Hospitals
- One of Healthgrades Americas 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery in 2013
- One of Healthgrades Americas 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award in 2013
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award for 3 Years in a Row (2011-2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement in 2013
- Ranked #1 in CO for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013
- Ranked #2 in CO for Joint Replacement in 2013
- Ranked #3 in CO for Spine Surgery in 2013
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Vascular Surgery Excellence Award for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Vascular Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Ranked #1 in CO for Vascular Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Critical Care Excellence Award for 9 Years in a Row (2005-2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care for 9 Years in a Row (2005-2013)
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award for 9 Years in a Row (2005-2013)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2013
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for 10 Years in a Row (2004-2013)
The American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.Healthgrades.com/quality.
About Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is a full-service, 522-bed acute care facility offering a full complement of emergency, medical and surgical services. Penrose-St. Francis was named one of Americas 50 Best Hospitals for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012by Healthgrades, the only recipient in Colorado. Penrose-St. Francis is part of Centura Health, Colorados largest hospital and health care network delivering advanced care to more than half a million people each year, across 13 hospitals, seven senior living communities, medical clinics, Flight For Life and home care and hospice services.Penrose-St. Francis and Centura's strength lies in the ability to offer a team of connected networks and shared resources to deliver accessible, reliable and cost-effective health care across the state. For more information about Penrose-St. Francis Health Services, visit www.penrosestfrancis.org.
We extend the healing ministry of Christ by caring for those who are ill and
by nurturing the health of the people in our communities.