Two Centura Health Hospitals Named Healthgrades 2016 Patient Safety Excellence Award Recipients
(ENGLEWOOD, COLO.) Centura Health announced today that Avista Adventist Hospital in Louisville and Mercy Regional Medical Center in Durango have achieved the Healthgrades 2016 Patient Safety Excellence Award, a designation that recognizes superior performance in hospitals that have prevented the occurrence of serious, potentially avoidable complications for patients during hospital stays. The distinction places Avista and Mercy among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation for their excellent performance as evaluated by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.
On average, 270,457 patient safety events could have been avoided if all hospitals, as a group from 2012 from 2014, performed similarly to hospitals performing better than expected on each of 13 patient safety indicators evaluated by Healthgrades.
In addition, during this study period, patients treated in hospitals receiving Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Awards were, on average:
- 40.2% less likely to experience an accidental puncture or laceration during a procedure, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 44.2% less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 54.4% less likely to experience catheter-related blood stream infections, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 50.4% less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals(1).
"The dedication to clinical quality and patient care at Avista and Mercy are role models for the entire industry. Im proud of and grateful to my colleagues at these two hospitals for their hard work and steadfast commitment to patients," said Mark Selna, MD, senior vice president, care integration and continuity, Centura Health.
"The recipients of the Healthgrades 2016 Patient Safety Excellence Award have not only found ways to reduce patient safety events, but to outperform expectations in prevention of safety incidents," said Evan Marks, Chief Strategy Officer, Healthgrades. "We applaud these hospitals for their performance and for their organizational commitment to delivering high-quality care."
During the study period (2012-2014), Healthgrades 2016 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipient hospitals performed with excellence in providing safety for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) for 13 patient safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
For more information about Healthgrades or to download a full copy of the report or to receive information about hospital and physician quality, visit Healthgrades website today.
(1) Statistics are based on Healthgrades Patient Safety Ratings and Excellence Award methodology which includes application of AHRQ QI software to MedPAR data for years 2012 through 2014 and represent 3-year estimates for Medicare patients only.
About Centura Health
Centura Health connects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 6,000 physicians and 21,000 of the best hearts and minds in health care. Through our 17 hospitals, two senior living communities, health neighborhoods, physician practices and clinics, home care and hospice services, and Flight For Life Colorado, we are making the regions best health care accessible and affordable in every community we serve. We believe you can inspire the people you care about to live healthier lives by encouraging them to do the little things that can make a big difference. Were Centura Health, and were here for your health. For information on Centura Health or any of the facilities in our network, please visit Centura Health website.
Director, strategic communications