Wound Care Center Opens at St. Anthony Hospital
Medical Director Craig Reynolds, MD, a board-certified plastic surgeon and wound care specialist, notes that the centers opening is timely, given the growing need for care of slow-healing and non-healing wounds. Chronic wounds have been under treated historically, with patients and their families suffering as a result, Reynolds said.
Reynolds added, The need for programs like this is more important than ever given our aging population and the increased incidence obesity and diabetes. Focusing just on those with diabetes, for example, a full 15 percent will develop chronic wounds. The patient who comes here can be confident of receiving state-of-the-art care from medical professionals with specialized wound care knowledge, supported by leading-edge technology.
The programs highly personalized, multispecialty approach to services is complemented by the latest technology. Many patients will benefit from the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which helps the bodys oxygen-dependent, wound-healing mechanisms function more efficiently.
Key facts on the growing need for wound care:
- Each year, there are 1.1 million to 1.8 million new cases and approximately 8 million Americans suffering from chronic wounds.
- Approximately 26.9 percent of all people over 65 have diabetes. Of those with diabetes, 15 percent will develop chronic wounds.
- Patients with diabetes have a 10-fold increase in the risk of amputation. Approximately 70,000 persons with diabetes will undergo amputation each year.
- More than 2 million Americans suffer from venous ulcers.
- Acute care pressure ulcer prevalence averages 14 percent.
About St. Anthony Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital is nationally recognized for its renowned programs in trauma, cardiovascular services, oncology, neurosciences and orthopedics. St. Anthony Hospitals expert team of physicians, nurses and other caregivers provide unparalleled medical care for patients and access to the latest in medical technology. St Anthony Hospital is part of Centura Health, whichconnects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 6,000 physicians and 16,200 of the best hearts and minds in health care. For more information on the St. Anthony Medical Campus, please visit www.stanthonyhosp.org or follow the hospital via Twitter @stahospital and facebook.com/stahospital.