Advanced Cancer Treatments
When it comes to battling cancer, you want the best weapons available. At Centura Health, our expert Cancer Care team offers the latest in specialized treatments using advanced techniques and technology to deliver the best possible outcomes. Your cancer care team will work with you to develop a treatment plan that may use one or a combination of therapy options, along with other supportive and integrative therapies.
Here are just some of the tools that our oncology experts utilize in the fight against cancer.
Chemotherapy is a treatment that uses medication or a combination of medications. At our cancer centers, we offer spacious rooms with comfortable chairs staffed by certified chemotherapy infusion nurses to ensure that you receive the highest-quality care in a comfortable environment. A clinical pharmacist reviews all chemotherapy treatments to assure dosage is appropriate for your needs and physical condition. Targeted drug therapy is a special type of chemotherapy that targets certain parts of cancer cells and can work to turn off chemical signals necessary for growth, trigger your immune system to attack cancer cells and more.
Our skilled radiation oncologists offer a range of localized radiation therapies designed to treat tumors at the site. Our radiation oncology department includes some of the most advanced technologies available, including:
- Arc-based treatment delivery that delivers radiation treatments in a fraction of the time of standard radiation oncology equipment
- Brachytherapy, which uses radioactive implants to directly treat cancerous tissue
- Image-guided radiation therapy that monitors the movement of tumors and other organs to ensure that treatment is both safe and accurate
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy that not only shapes to a tumor’s size and shape but reduces exposure to healthy tissue by creating multiple small beams of radiation that converge at tumor’s focal point
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery for precise, non-invasive treatment for cancer sites located throughout the body including difficult to operate regions such as the lungs, brain, spinal cord and abdomen
- Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy that uses computers and advanced imaging to deliver external-beam radiation therapy that conforms to a tumor’s specific shape and size
Our facilities also often leading-edge imaging technology to help your team simulate treatment and design radiation beams with millimeter accuracy.
Sometimes surgery may be recommended to remove a tumor and surrounding tissue. This may be used to diagnose cancer, remove cancerous tissue or to relieve side effects. The expert surgeons are aided by advanced imaging technologies and employ minimally invasive techniques whenever possible.