Breast Care Services
From routine breast care and screening to comprehensive breast cancer treatment, St. Anthony Summit Hospital Breast Care Services provides complete care focused on a woman’s mind, body and spirit.
St. Anthony Summit Hospital offers our patients the latest advancements in technology for breast imaging, diagnostics and treatment.
Breast surgical care
Breast surgeons work closely with the patient's entire breast cancer treatment team to offer an individualized treatment plan which may include:
- Diagnosis of benign lesions
- Evaluation of high-risk patients, including those with family history and genetic mutation
- Diagnosis and treatment of high-risk lesions
- Counseling of risk reduction modalities
- Excisional biopsy for diagnosis
- Breast conservation and partial mastectomy surgery
- Skin-sparing and nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Bilateral mastectomy
- Prophylactic mastectomy for breast cancer prevention
- Mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction surgery
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Axillary lymph node dissection
- Radiation therapy, including whole breast and partial breast radiation
- Endocrine therapy
- Genetics evaluation
- Lymphedema evaluation and treatment
- Nutrition counseling
- Clinical trials of investigational medicine and procedures
To schedule an appointment or if you have referral questions, contact us.
Prior to your appointment please download and complete the following forms:
Those diagnosed with cancer and those who do not have cancer but have a family history of cancer may benefit from genetic counseling. During a genetic counseling visit, the genetic counselor evaluates personal and family history to determine if an individual is at increased risk for cancer and the likelihood of an inherited cancer risk. They help individuals understand their cancer risks, pros and cons of genetic testing, family implications, and genetic information anti-discrimination laws. They discuss options for genetic testing, early cancer detection and cancer risk reduction. They communicate cancer risks, genetic test results, and guidelines for medical management with an individual's physicians and other care team members.
One in three people develop cancer at some point in their lives, so it's not unusual for someone in a family to have or have had cancer of some kind. A family history of cancer does not mean you will develop cancer yourself, as inherited cancers are rare. However, when there is a family history of cancer, our Metro Denver genetic counseling services can help determine if you are at a higher risk of hereditary cancer and if there are preventative and screening steps that should be implemented. Genetic counseling is the first step in this process and can help you determine if undergoing genetic testing would be helpful for your individual situation.
To schedule an appointment or for questions about genetic counseling, contact us.
Cancer is more likely to be an inherited cancer and you may benefit from genetic counseling services, if:
- Two or more blood relatives have the same type of cancer. (Except cervical, lung or skin cancer.)
- Breast, colon, uterine, rectal cancer was diagnosed before age 50
- The cancer is ovarian, fallopian tube or peritoneal cancer
- The cancer is a rare type, such breast cancer in a man
- The cancer develops in both breasts, both kidneys
- A single family member has developed more than one type of cancer; for example a woman with uterine and colon cancer (except cervical, lung or skin cancer).
Women who undergo routine mammograms at St. Anthony Summit Hospital have the latest screening and diagnostic technology available to them with 3D breast tomosynthesis with Selenia® Dimensions® digital mammography system. Selenia Dimensions is the latest generation of mammography equipment from Hologic, the women's healthcare company, the world leader in breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.
The Selenia Dimensions system offers exceptionally sharp breast images, an advanced ergonomic design providing more patient comfort, and a ground-breaking 3D tomosynthesis platform designed to deliver superior screening and diagnostic performance.
Breast tomosynthesis is a revolutionary technology that gives radiologists the ability to identify and characterize individual breast structures without the confusion of overlapping tissue. During a breast tomosynthesis exam, multiple, low-dose images of the breast are acquired at different angles. These images are then used to produce a series of one-millimeter thick slices that can be viewed as a 3D reconstruction of the breast.