Centura Health Breast Care Nurse Navigators Support Patients on Their Journey
(Englewood, Colo.) When you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, having a dedicated nurse specialist to help you navigate your care and concerns can make all the difference. At Centura Health, we’re proud to offer nurse navigator assistance to our breast cancer patients. Our certified nurse navigators are registered nurses with years of experience in oncology and nursing. Nurse navigators can assist you in finding the answers and support you need throughout your diagnostic evaluation and course of care.
“Nurse navigators meet patients at the time of biopsy and when they receive results,” stated Ellen Buchannan, a nurse navigator at Littleton Adventist Hospital. “We also serve as the main point of contact in the early days after a diagnosis and stay in touch with patients during and after their treatment.”
Our nurse navigators serve not only as nurses, but as advocates, educators and a source of support, helping you through the entire breast cancer care and treatment process. Depending on your diagnosis, a nurse navigator can provide:
- Testing and treatment overview: can provide an overview of diagnostic testing and treatment, describe tests that may be needed and explain treatment options.
- Personalized support: accompany you to some doctor appointments, visiting with you the day of after your surgery, and answer questions and providing connections to additional resources for emotional support, financial concerns or transportation.
- Educational materials: can share a wide variety of education materials throughout breast cancer treatment, including tips for managing the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Lifestyle support: your daily living needs may change as treatment progresses – our navigator can assist in finding local resources for transportation, in-home help, child care and more.
- Financial assistance: can connect patients with charitable organizations to help those with breast cancer address financial matters.
- Emotional and spiritual support: given a patient’s desires and direction, our navigator can connect you with professional resources, compassionate volunteers and others who have faced a similar challenge – to make the journey easier.
Breast cancer changes lives. We’re on a mission to ensure that our patients have a nurse navigator at their side throughout this journey. Our network of caregivers is at your service to touch, treat, heal, and inspire you to feel better and live life to the fullest.
About Centura Health
Centura Health connects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 6,000 physicians and 21,000 of the best hearts and minds in health care. Through our 17 hospitals, two senior living communities, health neighborhoods, physician practices and clinics, home care and hospice services, and Flight For Life® Colorado, we are making the region’s best health care accessible and affordable in every community we serve. We believe you can inspire the people you care about to live healthier lives by encouraging them to do the little things that can make a big difference. We’re Centura Health, and we’re here for your health. For information on Centura Health or any of the facilities in our network, please visit Centura Health website.
Centura Health does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, religion, creed, ancestry, sexual orientation, and marital status in admission, treatment, or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. For further information about this policy contact Centura Health Office of the General Counsel at 1-303-673-8166 (TTY: 711). Copyright © Centura Health, 2018. ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-303-673-8166 (TTY: 711). CHÚ Ý: Nếu bạn nói Tiếng Việt, có các dịch vụ hỗ trợ ngôn ngữ miễn phí dành cho bạn. Gọi số 1-303-673-8166 (TTY: 711).