Start off right with love and support.
- Skin-to-skin contact during the first hour after birth is our standard. Snuggling and skin-to-skin increases bonding and provides the best start for breastfeeding.
- A free Breastfeeding Support Group meets weekly for ongoing assistance, weight checks and information. Connect with other moms and get advice from a lactation professional.
- A warm and caring environment supported by exceptional nursing care in the heart of Longmont.
Patient and Family Centered
At The BirthPlace at Longmont United Hospital, we believe in patient and family centered care, focused on the whole person, mind, body and spirit.
Longmont United Hospital have been providing the innovative concept of “Rooming In” for decades. This is where it is encouraged that newborns stay with mom instead of in the nursery.
Our private rooms are designed to keep you and your baby close. Your baby may remain with you in your room throughout your stay, unless there is a medical reason that he or she cannot. Your dedicated nurse will help you with baby care.
- Birthing partners are encouraged to stay with mother and baby throughout their stay. A pull-out daybed is available in your room, and family and friends are always welcome to visit any time you wish.
- Baby's first bath will be given in your room, so you and your family can watch and participate.
- Each spacious, private rooms – with many offering airy mountain views; as well as private oversized Jacuzzi tubs, bathroom with shower and other homelike touches. Our rooms are designed to comfort and support new moms.
- You are also able to bring your own doula into the hospital for delivery support and aftercare.
- On-staff massage therapists are available for postnatal massage in either your private room or our dedicated massage suite.
Safe and Healthy
We've taken great care to assure you and your baby are in the best of hands with expert caregivers who are committed to keeping mom and baby safe and healthy.
- Epidurals, nitrous oxide and pain medications are optional, but are always available at your request. Board-certified anesthesiologists provide our patients with the most up-to-date anesthesia support and care, 24 hours a day.
- Should you require it, a surgical suite is available in The BirthPlace, ensuring the safest and most comfortable delivery possible.
- We support your choice to breastfeed your baby. Our certified lactation consultants are available during your stay and even after you go home. Our program has been awarded the prestigious Colorado Can Do 5! Breast Feeding Award for excellence in breastfeeding practices.
Your Specialized Care Team
Yes, we’re a community hospital dedicated to serving the needs of our community. But did you know we provide some of the best, and most advanced, medical care at The BirthPlace?
- OB/GYN Physicians: Our board-certified OB physicians are dedicated to ensuring your delivery is safe and healthy.
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner: As the only hospital in the heart of Longmont with a dedicated, onsite Children’s Hospital Colorado neonatal nurse practitioner, moms can feel confident, if the need arises, that their newborns will be getting the best and most advanced newborn care during his or her stay.
- Pediatric Hospitalists: As part of our commitment to the youngest patients in our community, we have dedicated, board-certified pediatric hospitalists from Children’s Hospital Colorado on call 24/7 to address any concerns. So, if there is ever a health issue during your and your baby’s stay, we have the expert staff to provider the specialized care your newborn deserves.
- Certified Lactation Consultants: We want mother and baby to have breastfeeding success, if you choose to breastfeed. Our consultants will meet with you during and after your stay to ensure breastfeeding success.
- Midwives: We have partnered with local, certified nurse midwives (CNM) who specialize in primary care for women and offer personalized care for pregnancy, labor and delivery, as well as postpartum concerns. Learn more about what our partner midwives can provide for your birth experience.
- Doula Options: Your birthing experience is our number one priority. If you chose to have a doula for delivery support and aftercare, Longmont United Hospital welcomes your birthing plan request to bring your own personal doula.
- Massage Therapists: Whether you’d like massages before your due date, or soon after your delivery, we have onsite massage therapy staff that can coordinate with your needs and schedule to provide pre- and postnatal massage tailored to you. During your hospital stay, you can request to have a postnatal massage in your private room, or in our dedicated massage suite. Learn more about our massage and integrative medicine services.
Expert NICU and Neonatal Care
We've taken great care to assure mother and baby are in the best of hands with expert caregivers who are committed to keeping you both safe and healthy.
As a Level 2 NICU, our newborn nursery provides care for infants born at 34 weeks gestation and above with a neonatal nurse practitioner from Children’s Hospital Colorado onsite 24/7.
- Pediatricians and family medicine physicians provide family-centered care in the hours and days immediately after birth, including our pediatric hospitalists on call 24/7.
- Babies in our nursery can also receive care for common newborn conditions such as prematurity, hyperbilirubinemia (jaundice), hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), weight loss, circumcisions. breastfeeding challenges and other newborn health issues.
- OB physicians, family medicine doctors and respiratory therapists are in the hospital 24/7 and will provide neonatal resuscitation, stabilization and care to infants needing advanced medical care.