Warm and fuzzy
At the Birthing Center at St. Anthony North Health Campus, we believe in family centered care.
- Rooming in, in which the baby stays with the mother instead of in the nursery, is encouraged. Our private birthing suites are designed to keep you and your baby close. Your baby may remain with you in your room throughout your stay, unless there is a medical reason that they cannot. Your nurse will help you with baby care.
- Birth partners are encouraged to stay with mom and baby throughout the hospitalization. A sleeper couch is provided. Family and friends are welcome to visit anytime you desire.
- Baby's first bath will be given in your room so you and your family can watch.
- Each spacious, private birthing suite offers airy mountain views, private baths and homelike touches. You'll find the rooms are designed to comfort and support new moms.
- Hospital-based, bi-lingual, doulas are available upon request to assist moms during labor and delivery. Learn more about the doula program.
Smart and healthy
We've taking great care to assure you and your baby are in the best of hands with expert caregivers who are committed to keeping mom and baby safe and healthy.
- Our well newborn nursery provides care for infants born at 36 weeks gestation and above. Pediatricians and family medicine physicians provide family-centered care in the hours and days immediately after birth. Babies in our nursery can also receive care for common newborn conditions such as hyperbilirubinemia, hypoglycemia, weight loss, circumcisions and breastfeeding challenges. OB physicians, family medicine doctors and respiratory therapists are in the hospital 24 hours a day and will provide neonatal resuscitation, stabilization and care to infants needing advanced medical care.
- Epidurals and pain medications are optional, but are always available at the patient's request. Certified registered nurse anesthetists provide our patients with the most up-to-date anesthesia support and care, 24 hours a day, working in conjunction with a team of anesthesiologists.
- Should you require it, a surgical suite is available within the unit, ensuring the safest and most comfortable delivery possible.
- We support your choice to breastfeed your baby. Our certified lactation consultants are available during your hospitalization and even after you go home. Our program has been awarded the prestigious Can Do 5! award for excellence in breastfeeding practices. In addition, we are becoming a Baby-Friendly facility through the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, a WHO and UNICEF initiative to recognize hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for infant feeding and mother/baby bonding.
Tender loving care
We want moms and babies to start off this new life with love and support.
- Skin-to-skin contact during the first hour after birth is our standard. Snuggling skin-to-skin increases bonding and provides the best start for breastfeeding.
- A free Breastfeeding Support Group meets weekly for ongoing assistance, weight checks, and information. Connect with other moms and get advice from a lactation professional.
- The Nurse-Family Partnership is a program for women who are having their first baby. If you enroll and are eligible, a specially trained nurse will visit you in your home throughout pregnancy and continue to visit until your baby is 2 years old.
Peace of mind
With Birth by Design appointments, birth education and many other support services you can have greater peace of mind about your birth experience.
- Birth by Design appointments allow you to meet with a registered nurse to share your birth preferences, complete preadmission paperwork, receive resources, and tour the Birth Center before your delivery.
- Family Education classes provide evidence-based information, guidance, and skills. We offer classes to help you prepare for childbirth, breastfeeding, baby care, and more.
- Our nursing staff is consistently rated as "excellent" by our patients in the areas of compassion, helpfulness, friendliness, and expertise.
- Relax knowing you and your little one are protected by our electronic security system and safety conscious staff.
- A complimentary follow up lactation visit will help ensure that all is going well after you leave the hospital. An appointment will be made for you before your discharge. Additional lactation appointments are available if needed.