Facts about Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
After 60 railroad workers were injured in a train derailment near Leadville in the late 1880s, B.P. Anderson, MD, and four sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration began a door-to-door fundraising campaign to build a hospital in Colorado Springs. Since its inception, Penrose-St. Francis Health Services has been infused with vision and dedicated to clinical excellence, whole-person care and serving the unique needs of its communities.
While Penrose-St. Francis Health Services (PSF) offers a full complement of emergency, medical and surgical services, several programs and clinical specialties truly distinguish the system:
- The Penrose Cancer Center brings leading-edge, compassionate cancer care to the people of southern Colorado.
- Penrose-St. Francis' acclaimed heart program consistently achieves outcomes that exceed national benchmarks.
- St. Francis Medical Center is the home to the new Total Joint and Spine Center, a 33-bed state-of-the-art unit that caters to patients who have undergone joint or spine surgery. Our expert surgeons, fully coordinated team of clinical staff, physical therapists and nurse navigators provide a full continuum of care from diagnosis to rehabilitation.
- St. Francis Medical Center specializes in maternal-child health with a state-of-the-art birthing center, a Level IIIA neonatal intensive care unit and northern Colorado Springs' only dedicated pediatric unit.
- The PSF Laboratories provide a comprehensive range of tertiary care anatomic and clinical diagnostic services ranging from bedside point of care chemistries to electron microscopy and molecular testing.
- Penrose's Center for Behavioral Health helps businesses retain healthy and productive employees.
- The PSF Health Learning Center is dedicated to healthy aging through an interdisciplinary approach to managing chronic diseases.
- St. Francis Medical Center, a $207-million full-service hospital, opened in August 2008 as the only full-service hospital in northeast Colorado Springs. Services include birth center, emergency service, Level III neonatal intensive care unit, inpatient/outpatient surgery, pediatric unit and Level III Trauma Center.
- Five-story E Tower opened January 2005 on the Penrose Hospital campus. This tower boasts a high-tech, 36-bed, critical care unit; 36 private-bed cardiovascular floor; Wellness Center; physician offices; main lobby; pharmacy; gift shop; registration area; boardroom and courtyard.
- The Thelma and Peter Morici Emergency Department at Penrose Hospital was completely renovated in 2012.
By the Numbers
- Approximately 975 affiliated physicians
- 3,066 associates
- 522 licensed beds
- Approximately 104,012 annual emergency visits
- Approximately 24,343 annual admissions
- $49 million in uncompensated and charity care provided annually
* For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2017
Download our fact sheet.
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
Includes four urgent care centers, Penrose-St. Francis Health Learning Center, Colorado Sports and Spine Centers and EAP Corporate Health Services.
Patient & Community Resources
- Penrose-St. Francis offers free, health information and physician referrals
- The Penrose Cancer Center has a variety of patient resources, including outreach programs for women of color, free cancer screenings, on-campus housing and dental oncology services
- The Birth Center at St. Francis Medical Center offers an array of classes for moms-to-be, dads, grandparents, siblings and even the family dog.
- The Penrose-St. Francis Health Foundation supports Penrose-St. Francis in its work to provide important services to the community. To give a gift, contact the foundation at 719-776-7760.
Founded by the Sisters of St. Francis and the Sisters of Charity, Penrose-St. Francis celebrates the value of each person's life by lovingly offering care to people regardless of who they are, what they believe or where they're from. We seek to combine finely honed medical skills with a compassionate touch to care for the whole person, body, mind and spirit. In this manner, we strive to create healing sanctuaries that carry on the ministry of Jesus Christ.
Penrose Hospital is the anchor hospital of Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. With 364 licensed beds, Penrose Hospital provides secondary and tertiary (high tech) medical-surgical services with emphasis on elective and outpatient care. Established in 1890 as a tuberculosis sanatorium, Penrose Hospital has grown to become a major health treatment and referral center, specializing in cancer care, cardiac care, emergency trauma care and physical rehabilitation.
2222 N. Nevada Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Directions and map
Take a virtual tour of Penrose Hospital.
St. Francis Medical Center
St. Francis Medical Center opened in August 2008. This 195 licensed bed facility is the only full-service hospital in Northern Colorado Springs and features a modern Birth Center, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Care Unit, Emergency Department, Level III Trauma Center, Imaging Services, Surgical Services and Critical Care Unit. It is also the home base for the Flight For Life Colorado air ambulance helicopter service.
6001 E. Woodmen Rd.
Colorado Springs, CO 80923
Directions and map
Take a virtual tour of St. Francis Medical Center.
Take a virtual tour of The Birth Center.
Take a virtual tour of Penrose-St. Francis Total Joint and Spine Center.