Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is proud to be a Magnet-recognized organization, as the credential reinforces our dedication to quality patient care. Magnet-recognized organizations consistently demonstrate:
- Higher patient satisfaction with nurse communication, availability of help, and receipt of discharge information;
- Lower risk of 30-day mortality and lower failure to rescue; and
- Lower rates of falls.
We are dedicated to providing our patients with the highest-quality care, and this credential is confirmation of our success in this endeavor.
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services has joined a prestigious list of healthcare organizations that have been recognized as part of the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®, which recognizes superior quality in nursing care. ANCC conducts thorough evaluations of hospitals seeking recognition, judging proficiency and leadership in the following five key areas that are considered global issues in nursing and healthcare:
- Visionary leadership transforming the organization to meet changing needs
- Empowered staff properly prepared to face all challenges
- Competent, dedicated, and skilled nurses
- Continued innovation within staff knowledge, clinical practice, and systemic improvements
- Outcomes measurement systems in place throughout the entire organization
To achieve Magnet recognition, organizations must pass a rigorous and lengthy process that demands widespread participation from leadership and staff. The process begins with the submission of an electronic application, followed by written documentation demonstrating qualitative and quantitative evidence regarding patient care and outcomes. If scores from the written documentation fall within a range of excellence, an on-site visit will occur to thoroughly assess the applicant. After this rigorous on-site review process, the Commission on Magnet will review the completed appraisal report and vote to determine whether Magnet recognition will be granted. Currently, only 378 out of nearly 6,000 U.S. healthcare organizations have achieved Magnet recognition.
Note: Visit ANCC website for the current number of Magnet-recognized organizations, as it changes frequently.
Visit the Magnet Recognition Program® website for more information about the program® and current statistics.
Accreditations & Distinctions
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award - St. Francis Medical Center
- St. Francis Medical Center Baby-Friendly Hospital Designation for 2017 – 2022 by Baby Friendly USA, Inc.
- Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission
- Designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR); Penrose Hospital is the Only Imaging Center in southern Colorado to Hold this Designation
- Penrose-St. Francis Breast Care Center is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- The Trauma Center at Penrose Hospital has been verified as a Level II Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons
- Penrose Hospital is the Only Facility in southern Colorado Designated a Bariatric Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
- Penrose Cancer Center is Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and is the Only Facility in Colorado Accredited for Radiation Therapy by the American College of Radiology
- Penrose Cancer Center is the only facility in Colorado named to participate in a multi-million dollar National Cancer Institute (NCI) pilot project that is bringing state-of-the-art treatment to local community hospitals
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit has the Highest Level of Accreditation from the Commission for the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is Accredited as a Program of Excellence by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Our Diabetes and Renal Care Center is Fully Accredited by the American Diabetes Association
- Named a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery
- Aetna Institute of Quality Orthopedic Care - Spine Surgery
- Aetna Institute of Quality Orthopedic Care - Total Joint Replacement